Monday, March 24, 2008

High Fidelity

MinnPost has an interesting article (with accompanying video) on the resurgance of vinyl records among the "mp3 generation." (God, I hate that term)



I have just taken the jump into building a vinyl collection myself. I purchased an inexpensive turntable for my inexpensive stereo system awhile ago and since then I have been hitting the streets in earnest, hunting through the local record shops that remain in town. It's been fun.

My funds, shelf space, and musical tastes are quite limited. I don't have a strategy as far as what I am going to collect, though I am more interested in the music itself than whatever value the records do or do not have as collectibles.

Thus far I have picked up almost exclusively jazz records and I have limited those to "essential" recordings, Coltrane's "Blue Train" and "A Love Supreme," Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Collosus," Cannonball Adderly's "Somethin Else," Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder." Things like that.

I already have all of these on CD, now I have them on vinyl as well. Any recommendations on resources for the neophyte collector would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: