Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's spring time, so naturally a man's thoughts turn to...

Emile Hirsch.






What?



Yes, that's right, I have been thinking about Emile Hirsch. Actually, to be more accurate I have been thinking about "Into the Wild" and Emile Hirsch.



I just watched the movie again on DVD the other night, I had seen it in the theater, and I really, really liked it even more on the second viewing.



I read the book a number of years ago and just bought a copy to read again because my I either gave my first copy away, it got destroyed, or I lost it at any one of a thousand strip joints or burger places I have visited in the last 10 years.



In watching the film again I was struck by the fact that Emile Hirsch, occupying the screen by himself for a fair portion of the movie, not only didn't bother me but actually did an admirable job in a very challenging role. Pretty impressive for the guy that heretofore was only known to me as the kid in "The Girl Next Door."

So the question, or questions, to which I do not think there are answers are as follows:

Was "Into the Wild" an excellent film because of Emile Hirsch or in spite of him? Is it great because Sean Penn is a great director, or just because the source material for the film is so fascinating? Or, is it simply cool to watch because of the breathtaking landscapes?

These are the questions keeping me up at night.

No comments: