Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Awesome Linkage: The Album Cover Edition

About 10 years ago I discovered jazz. I guess it's better to show up late to a party than not to make it at all.

Like any jazz listener, Blue Note Records plays a huge role in my fandom. Aside from the music, what makes recording released by Blue Note great is the awesome pictures and designs on their albums. These very album covers played no small part in my decision to start collecting vinyl last year. They look and sound superb. I give you some examples:

Dexter Gordon.






Art Blakey and one of my 5 desert island albums.




Larry Young. (I think this was also made into a t-shirt that Blue Note sells. My birthday is in September, reader.)




And finally, a couple from my man Lee.
















So anyway, if you weren't already familiar, you get a sense of the style of Blue Note album cover art. Well, today on the internet I found, via SFJ, a graphic designer who designed album covers for Wu-Tang clan if they were released by Blue Note.

No comments: