Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Predictions

As promised, or threatened, here is my quick run down on how the 2008 MLB season will unfold. I am just a guy with a computer and some extra time on my hands, please do not jeopardize your family's financial future based on these predictions. Here we go:



AL East: (The Same as it ever was division)
1. Boston
2. New York (Wild Card)
3. Toronto
4. Tampa Bay
5. Baltimore

I was thinking earlier in the spring that the Yankees weren't even going to make the playoffs. I have softened on that some. Boston's pitching is deep even with injuries to Beckett and Schilling. I think Dice-K will have a monster year and Paplebon should get Cy Young consideration. Toronto is a nice club, Alexis Rios should establish himself as an elite player. Tampa is clearly going in the right direction and the Orioles are an embarassment to a fine baseball city like Baltimore.

AL Central: (The Four good teams and the Royals Division)
1. Detroit
2. Cleveland
3. Minnesota
4. Chicago
5. Kansas City

I have my local team too high, but I am excited about the young nucleus. It's a two horse race and Detroit Rock City is just too loaded. Cleveland and the Yankees fight for the wild card and they both better look to get to about 95 wins, that's what it might take. The White Sox are getting some notice as a team to be on the lookout for, but I just see them as older, fatter, and balder than they have been. Kansas City has Alex Gordon and some really great barbecue, so there is reason for optimism.

AL West: (The These games are on too late to really know what's going on division)

1. Seattle
2. Anaheim
3. Texas
4. Oakland

I am not calling them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. You are lucky I'm not calling them the California Angels. Seattle is a trendy pick and I am a trendy guy. Their lack of power worries me a little and it all depends if King Felix can stay healthy. The Angels are that team I forget about every year. I still respect their lineup, but they have been too decimated in the pitching department. Texas and Oakland...I have no idea which of these teams will be better or worse, depending on how you phrase it. Let's face it, it doesn't really matter, it's a coinflip. Texas got heads.

NL East: (The 'Now with Santana!' Division)
1. New York
2. Philadelphia
3. Atlanta
4. Washington
5. Florida

I write this after the injury to Pedro which emphasizes the Mets biggest weakness, that is, they are too fucking old. Still, Santana wins the Cy Young, David Wright the MVP. How can they not win? The Phillies are good. So is Atlanta. The Nationals are bad. So are the Marlins.

NL Central: (The Milwaukee is beautiful in October and are there really six teams in this division?)
1. Milwaukee
2. Chicago (Wild Card)
3. Houston
4. Cincinnati
5. St. Louis
6. Pittsburgh

I might be a year early, but I am going with the Brewers. I don't trust the Cubs and this is a pretty mediocre division. I don't know much about the Reds and I think the Cardinals can consider it a successful season if they can make it all the way through without someone dying. I guess about all I can say about this division is that on a personal level, I think my favorite uniforms in baseball are those alternative red ones that the Astros wear. Those are cool. And speaking of uniforms and teams, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Pirates. I even own a Pirates hat. I may be the only person in the Twin Cities who has one. They have great uniforms, a great ballpark, a rich tradition, and a terrible baseball team.

NL West (The I love Vin Scully and I will be more sad when he dies than I was when either of my grandfathers died division)
1. Arizona
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Colorado
5. San Francisco

Jesus, the Diamondbacks are good. Was it really last year the Rockies were in the World Series? That's about all I have to say. I'm tired of typing.

NLCS: Mets over Diamondbacks
ALCS: Boston over Detroit
World Series: Mets over Boston

NL MVP: David Wright (Runner Up: Ryan Howard)
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez (Runner Up: Miguel Cabrera)
NL Cy Young: Johan Santana (Runner Up: Jake Peavy)
AL CY Young: Justin Verlander (Runner Up: Jonathan Paplebon)

No comments: